OK, so the question is are you trying to manage time over which you have no control or manage your task over which you have total control? Obviously, it's the task. So understand the task as much as you can.
- Is it really necessary?
- Is the task clearly defined? Can you break it down into more easily accomplished parts?
- Is it something you need more expertise to do? Do you need to research, read, ask someone questions before you begin? Do you need to talk to someone who has already done this before you attempt it?
- Do you need to call someone to come help? Maybe even just a friend to be a cheerleader is all you need.
- Is it something that dredges up old shit? Is it your idea or someone else's? Can it be delegated?
- Is there a reward besides having done this task? Can you reward yourself?
And that's always a good thing.