Saturday, August 31, 2013

Word Count

Isn't finding time one of the hardest things about being a creative person? We have jobs, families, friends, and community activities all taking time away from the creative things we really want to do. So what happens when we do have the time to be creative?

Last week, I worked to have an entire day in my studio. I have little to show for almost six hours. I was unsuccessful in researching. I had a word count of about 200 words in a cover letter I am writing. That's not much to show for all that time. It was a productive day. Say what? Yes. A day in the studio, the workshop, the atelier, the garden, wherever you create is always productive. Why? Because you are there and you commit. You show up. You allow the thoughts and ideas to flow. Sometimes they flow like a waterfall and other times, like last week, like a mud puddle, which doesn't really move at all. But did I know which it would be when I sat down? No. I was happy to be there. Frustrated, yes but happy nonetheless.

And Monday, I found what I was looking for in fifteen minutes.       

No comments:

Post a Comment