Monday, October 5, 2009

On Blooming


One day last month, I walked in the backyard and saw these buds. Now, the interesting thing about them is that they were growing from a stalk on one of five large, green leafy plants near the ivy along the back wall.

These five plants have been there since my hubby and I moved to this house almost twelve years ago. They have never done anything but grow big green leaves that die off during a cold winter. Then I cut them back and they grow again the following summer.

The next day, the buds had opened into this beautiful group of flowers with a light, spicy scent. My sister Kim was able to identify it as a Crinum Amabile or Giant Spider Lily-Thanks, Kim- In reading about it, I learned that if I amend the soil, which is the proper way to say add manure to the dirt, that the five plants should bloom every year. Amazing!

So, why did this plant bloom this year? Why not any of the previous eleven years? What combination of Texas drought and rain signaled this one plant out of five to put forth such a gorgeous display? Why not any of the other four plants? And to add to the mystery, this plant has since sent out another stalk that bloomed, not quite as profusely but still rather nice.

I plan, of course, now that I know these plants are capable of flowering, to amend the soil, fertilize, water and all the other proper gardening things with the hope of seeing these flowers every year. Will I be successful? Only time will tell and to be honest, I'm not going to hold my breath. They seem to have their own agenda and timetable.

What do these lovely flowers have to teach us as artists, writers or mere mortals? Simply this. Keep growing. Years from now, you too can be an overnight sensation.


1 comment:

  1. gorgeous. gorgeous. was out watering all the blooms that my hubs planted this year, just a little while ago. grooving on what is happening in each little patch of ground. we have only been in our home a little less than a year and have enjoyed all the magic that grew. we didn't know *quite* what to expect where! and now hubs has planted a gazillion more things. it's his "thang"! we look forward to next year's harvest, color and buds!!

    ReplyDelete